In June of 1868, the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South of Bryan received its first member, Mrs. Smythe. Methodist preachers called “circuit riders” had been holding meetings downtown above a saloon, but First United Methodist Church, Bryan officially began in 1868 and held its first worship service in its first sanctuary in September of 1869. This congregation of believers was founded before Bryan was incorporated as a city in 1871. In 1902 a new sanctuary was built that burned to the ground and a new sanctuary was built in 1906 based on the exact same building plans. During a Sunday worship service in December of 1951, the members left the old sanctuary on the corner of Houston and 27th street and walked over to the new sanctuary on Houston and 28th street. We are a historic church with a great legacy, but we are also a contemporary church with a passion for our city and ministries that impact our community.